Fundraising For Harvey Warming Hut
Looks like the Fernie, BC community is rallying to rebuild the Harvey Warming Hut that apparently recently burnt down. Check out the Harvey Warming Hut Indiegogo page and show it some love, because last we checked they’d raised a whopping $30. That’s buy a pretty small hut. Zoolander would raise an eyebrow for sure.
Here’s the synopsis from the campaign page…
Harvey Hut got burnt down.
The Harvey Hut burnt down in January 2016. This popular and very remote area has had an emergency shelter at it for over 30 years.
- The old shelters were never authorized to be on crown land.
- The new shelter is proposed to be authorized to be placed on private land in the same region.
We need a new shelter!
- This remote region that is popular with backcountry skiers and snowmobile skiers and snowboards must have an emergency shelter.
- Some options that are being evaluated could be installed in certain locations very quickly… especially if we can secure some funding to kickstart this!
- Trailers, pods, yurts, sea cans etc are some types of structures being looked at for immediate placement.
- This is a long term project. More ideal crown land locations could ultimately be applied for in the future.
Risks & Challenges
This is a “by the people for the people” project. It cannot be done without working together!
- We have initial indication from a private landowner that they are open to a proposal for a shelter placement. This is not a for sure.
- It may not be feasible to install the shelter this season.
- We hope to be able to secure a temporary solution initially.
- A more permanent/ better solution could be realized over a longer period (summer months)
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people just can’t contribute cash, but that doesn’t mean you can’t help:
- If you can’t contribute financially but still want to help out send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact here on indiegogo.
- Ask folks to get the word out and make some noise about your campaign.
- Share this campaign!
And that’s all there is to it.