Girls go to Retallack, Slay Pow.
This post has 4 photos and 1 video. Click any thumbnail to start »
At the beginning of February a group of girls were given the opportunity to travel inland to Retallack Lodge, a pow skiing mecca operating specifically for those who like to rock. Brigid Mander, a New York turned Jackson ski bum, flew up to join Holly Walker and me for two days of pow at the lodge followed by a day at Whitewater.
Partially owned by Tanner Hall and Seth Morrison, the lodge is sandwiched in the mountains somewhere between Kaslo and Silverton, BC, and boasts a relaxed vibe and righteous guides. The ski runs also have names like PME (Pretty Much Epic) and I'm personally canvassing for a run called 'GTR Done' in the recently opened West Bowl.
Karla Rizzuto, a born-and-raised Nelsonite insisted on switching cats during the trip so she could act as cliff spotter and tail guide for our merry group. As we were a group of three, we adopted Californian Greg Tallman into our group as honorary lady for the trip. We chose well. He shreds. It was awesome.
Highlights of the trip were as follows:
- Seeing my bff Anne Pigeon (marketing guru) at Whitewater and having the resort deliver the goods, AGAIN. It snows every time I go there.
- Wolf Howling at the Moon tshirts purchased shortly after closing time at Silverton General Store. Double highlight goes to the four guys working in the General Store inquiring with a Retallack staffer about "who those girls were?"
- Making Holly and Brigid jump off cliffs and then watching everyone else in the group do it too.
- Visiting with Rico, Pete Velisek's fat cat.
- While back on the subject of cats, dancing to club music during the cat rides
- Powder. Lots and lots of powder.
We managed to pick up a scrappy redhead for the ride home: one Ian 'Cheddar' Watson. Thanks to him for driving the last leg of the journey, to Anne Pigeon at Whitewater for being awesome as usual, and to Phil and Chris at Retallack for their generosity and sweet lodge. See you again next year!
You can post a blog like this too - Simply create an account and get posting!